For Alzheimer’s Society
Sunday 2nd September 2018
Each year the Staff at Edwards and Co chooses their Charity of the year and whilst we will engage in fundraising throughout the year we try to focus on one major event. In the past we have run, rowed and cycled but this year we have decided that our major event will be a Dragon Boat race on the River Lagan.
To make this our biggest single fund raising event we need to break our record £10k for the Royal Parks Half Marathon and to do this we need a lot of support. That will require at least 12 boats with 15 people in each, all raising sponsorship.
At this moment we have 5 teams signed up from a variety of companies. If you are interested you can contact us immediately or wait until we contact you (and we will find you). All we need at this moment is your commitment to get a team and to raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Society. We will then provide you with all the details.
Here’s why we’re doing it:
- Currently almost 1 million people in the UK suffer from Dementia and nearly 600,000 of these have Alzheimer’s;
- Alzheimer’s is a neurological disease which causes brain cells to die;
- 225,000 people will develop dementia this year, that’s one every three minutes;
- There are over 40,000 people under 65 with dementia in the UK;
- 1 in 3 people born today will develop Dementia if it continues at its current rate;
- 90% of what is known about Alzheimer’s has been discovered in the last 15 years and so much more needs to be discovered.