If you like our news articles, subscribe here to receive our newsletter.

If you cannot locate the title deeds to your property there are a few simple steps to follow:

1. Contact the solicitor who acted for you when you purchased the property. If that firm of solicitors has closed or the solicitor has retired the Law Society of Northern Ireland will be able to point you in the direction of the firm which has taken over storage of title documents.

2. Contact any lender. Even if your mortgage has been paid off the lender may well still hold your title documents. Some lenders will forward title deeds directly to you, a few ill only do so through a solicitor.

3. If your property is a rural property or has been sold in the last 10 to 15 years it is likely to be registered with the Land Registry of Northern Ireland. If this is the case it is possible to get a duplicate of title documents. However physical documents are no longer necessary for most purposes and so it may be sufficient to know that the property is registered in your name with the Land Registry.

4. If you pay ground rent in relation to your property you can contact the agent who collects the ground rent. They should be able to direct you to either the head landlord who is entitled to your ground rent or a firm of solicitors who represent the head landlord. The landlord or their solicitors ought to have a copy of the Lease under which you hold the property and other documents of title can be reconstructed through the registry of deeds. In this instance you will almost certainly need a solicitor to assist you in reconstructing the documents of title.

If your original title documents cannot be physically traced it may be necessary to put in place a title indemnity policy to insure against any losses arising because the original deeds cannot be found.

If you require assistance with locating or reconstructing deeds please contact a member of our property team.